GEORGE H. WOOD, the most prominent druggist in Mounds, Illinois, has been
a resident of this city since the year 1896. During the period of his
residence here he has not been in any sense a shirker, but has borne with
unfailing cheerfulness his share of the burdens of civic life.
Mr. Wood was born in Genoa, Wisconsin, on October 7, 1870, and is the son of David S. Wood. The latter named was born near Albany, New York, in 1828. In the early seventies he brought his family to Labette county, Kansas, where he engaged in the milling industry, and he enjoys the peculiar distinction of having erected at Oswego, Kansas, the first grist mill to be operated in the southeasterly part of that state. While enroute for the West, Mr. Wood stopped in Ohio, and it was in that state that he was wedded to Margaret Choate, who still survives her husband, he having died in Mound Valley, Kansas, in 1878. The widow now resides in Redondo, California. The issue of their union are: Mrs. R. J. Hart, of Sherman, California; Mrs. Jennie Jones, of Pasadena, California; David M., of Los Angeles, California; Albert S., of Redondo, California; George H., of Mounds, Illinois, of whom we write; and Walter E. and Clyde, both of Los Angeles, California.
George H. Wood was dependent upon the common schools of his community for his educational preparation for life's battles. His first employment was in a drug store in Mound Valley, Kansas, and it was there he received his training in pharmaceutics, in the school of practical experience. He later worked at various points in the state, and it was while he was employed at Frankfort that the opportunity was afforded him to become druggist and assistant clerk for the asylum at Osawatomie, during part of 1891 and 1892. Following that period of service he came to Illinois and secured the position of druggist for the State Hospital for the Insane at Anna in 1894, where he remained for four years, coming from Anna to Mounds and engaging in business in his chosen profession, which business he still conducts.
During the years of Mr. Wood's residence in Mounds he has given generously of his time and ability to the service of the city of his adoption. No civic duty has been to him an irksome task. He has served his city as both its clerk and treasurer. He has served on the City Council of Mounds. He has been mayor of the city, and it was under his administration that the era of the granitoid walk was inaugurated in Mounds. He is president of the Mounds Building and Loan Association, as well as being a director of the First State Bank of the city. In all of these offices, both of a civic and private nature, he has given valuable service, always acquitting himself honorably and creditably.
Mr. Wood was married in Carbondale, Illinois, June 27, 1893, to Miss Ada M. Hickam, a daughter of Curtis Hickam. Mrs. Wood is one of three children, the others being Mrs. Dan M. Anderson, of Carbondale, and Miss Ida Hickam.
In the fifteen years of Mr. Wood's residence in Mounds he has been especially successful in a financial way, and has accumulated a goodly share of this world's goods. He is the owner of his place of business, as well as his splendid residence and numerous other pieces of valuable property in and about Mounds. He is not a man of great fraternal inclination, the only society of which he is a member being the Knights of Columbus, of which order he is an enthusiastic and valuable member.
Extracted from 1912 A History of Southern Illinois, volume 2, pages 606-607.