Pulaski County

Biography - H. H. Wieting

H. H. WIETING, fruit-farmer, P. O. Villa Ridge, was born in Hanover, Germany, November 10, 1821, to Gearhard and Deborah Wieting. They were born and lived in the same State of which our subject was a native, and both died there, at the age of sixty-three years. His occupation was that of farmer. They were the parents of eight children, only three of whom are still living, our subject being the only one in America; one sister came also, but she has been dead many years. Mr. Wieting was reared on a farm, and educated in the common schools of his native county. At the time he was twenty years of age, eleven out of every hundred were exempt from the army, and our subject drew one of the exemption tickets, so did not have to serve any time in the army. In 1847, he came to the United States, and settled in Pulaski County, Ill., and this State has been his home since. In making the trip, he was eight weeks on the water, coming to New Orleans, then up the river to Caledonia. November 11, 1873, he came to his present farm. It had been let go down and thrown out, but Mr. Wieting has now put it in a good state of cultivation. His farm contains eighty-three acres, fifty of which are in cultivation. Strawberries receive most of his attention. November 11, 1849, he was married in this county to Mary Sowers. She was a native of North Carolina, daughter of David Sowers, one of the early settlers of the county. She died August 11, 1851, leaving one child, which died in infancy. October 14, 1852, he was married to Pheba Essex, she was born in North Carolina. (See sketch of Joseph Essex.) Mr. and Mrs. Wieting have three children dead and two living — Mary Ann, Lovina and Nancy deceased, Joseph H. and Susie, the living. Mr. W. and family are members of the Shiloh Baptist Church.

Extracted 02 Nov 2014 by Norma Hass from 1883 History of Alexander, Union and Pulaski Counties, Illinois, Part V - Biographical Sketches, page 297.


Visit Our Neighbors
Union Johnson
Alexander Massac

McCracken
KY
Ballard KY
Search the Archives