J. SHICK, lime-kiln, Ullin, was born June 22, 1848, in Chester County, Penn. He was the fourth of eleven children, and the son of Amos and Elizabeth (Hook) Shick. He received his education in his native county, and in 1868 came West and settled in Union County, Ill. The first work he did in this county was upon a farm. He did not remain there long, but soon commenced working for Finch & Shick in their lime-kiln there. With this firm our subject remained four years, and then went to Texas, where he remained until 1879. In the fall of that year, he came to Ullin, and assumed control of the lime-kiln owned by C. Shick & Co., the head of the firm residing at Reading, Penn. There are two kilns, the combined capacity of which is five hundred bushels a day. The enterprise gives employment to about fifteen men. In connection with it, there is a cooper shop where the barrels necessary for shipment are manufactured. Mr. Shick also owns 240 acres in Section 14, Town 14, Range 1 west, and of this about eighty acres are in cultivation. Our subject was married, October 23, 1879, to Mary Elizabeth Frick, a daughter of Jacob and Mary Frick, deceased, but old residents of Union County. Mrs. Shick is a member of the Anna Presbyterian Church. In politics, Mr. Shick is a Democrat.
Extracted 02 Nov 2014 by Norma Hass from 1883 History of Alexander, Union and Pulaski Counties, Illinois, Part V - Biographical Sketches, pages 329-330.