JAMES A. METCALF, farmer and Government light-keeper, P. O. New Grand Chain, is a native of Calloway County, Ky., born December 19, 1833, the eldest child of Thomas F. and Jane A. (Graham) Metcalf, both of whom were natives of the same State. The father was a tiller of the soil, and he died in 1869. His wife survived him until July, 1882. The married life of the old couple was blessed with a family of ten children, three of whom are living — James A., Robert E. and Malinda B. Our subject got a little early schooling in his native county, and in his younger days he assisted his father on the home farm. He came to Pulaski County, Ill., in 1852, and remained until 1867, engaged in carpentering and farming. At the latter date, he moved to Lyon County, Ky., and lived here until the spring of 1870, engaged in clerking. He moved to Crittenden County, Ky., at the latter date, and here farmed until returning to Pulaski County in the spring of 1883. He has a farm of fifty-five acres on the river front, right below which is Renard's Landing, and at this point he has charge of the Government lights. July 2, 1862, he married Nancy J. Gray, a daughter of Nathan O. and Minerva B. (Holeman) Gray. Mr. and Mrs. Metcalf are the parents of nine children, six of whom are living — John F., Nathan G., Otho M., Nancy E., Joseph O. and Myrtie. Mr. and Mrs. Metcalf are members of the Universalist Church, and in politics he is a Greenbacker.
Extracted 02 Nov 2014 by Norma Hass from 1883 History of Alexander, Union and Pulaski Counties, Illinois, Part V - Biographical Sketches, page 307.