A. W. LEWIS, merchant, Pulaski, was born in Pulaski County, near Villa Ridge, January 2, 1850, to Alfred E. and Sarah (Piercefield) Lewis. He was born February 24, 1811, and died December 11, 1851, in this county. She was born April 20, 1814, and died November 29, 1859. They were married January 2, 1831, and were the parents of eight children, four of whom are still living, our subject, being the youngest of the family. During his life, he followed different occupations. Being an excellent blacksmith, also understanding the physician's profession, and had also engaged in the mercantile business. His place of residence was also varied. He and wife were born in Middle Tennessee. Their two oldest children were born in Kentucky; four while living in different parishes in Louisiana — one in Hines County, Miss., and our subject in this county. After her husband's death, Mrs. Lewis and her two sons moved to Missouri, where she bought a small farm, and, in 1858, was there married to her second husband, W. W. Ward, and a short time afterward they moved to Alexander County, Ill., where she died. For some time, then, our subject lived with his oldest sister, Mrs. Emma Ainger, near Villa Ridge, then with another sister, Mrs. W. R. Hooppaw, then with his brother, who then resided at Villa Ridge. Here our subject remained till starting out for himself. His employment since has been various. First in a saw-mill in Cairo, then contracting for railroad cross ties, which he made at Villa Ridge. Then he engaged in his present business, but only as a clerk in the store of W. R. Hooppaw in Villa Ridge; then as manager of a store in Pulaski for Mr. Hooppaw. The close confinement of the store room caused his health to fail, so he went on the road as traveling salesman, but only remained at that business for six months, when he again began clerking for Mr. Hooppaw in Villa Ridge; then again came to Pulaski to Mr. H.'s store there; then for Mr. G. W. Bonner, who bought out Mr. Hooppaw. Our subject, however, remained with Mr. Bonner only for a short time, when he borrowed money and opened a stock of goods in Pulaski November 27, 1875. His stock cost $620; his first day's sales were $11. He has steadily increased his business since, till now he occupies a building 22x100 feet, one half of which is two stories. His average stock of goods on hand is about $9,000 to $10,000; annual sales reaching about $20,000 to $25,000. His stock includes everything in general merchandise, drugs, etc. Mr. Lewis has also been P. M. since being in the village; is also interested in a garden farm. Has houses and lots which he rents in Pulaski, property in Villa Ridge, etc. November 13, 1870, he was married to Miss E. F. Butler. She was born April 8, 1850, to L. D. and Pernina (Whidden) Butler. He was born in Maine, she in Clermont County, Ohio. He died in this county. She is still living. By trade he was a carpenter. In 1861, they moved from Cincinnati, Ohio, to Villa Ridge. They were the parents of ten children, seven of whom still survive. Mr. and Mrs. Lewis have six children—Everett O., Otho O., Eli U., Adda M., William G. and Myrtle May. In politics, Mr. Lewis has ever been Republican.
Extracted 02 Nov 2014 by Norma Hass from 1883 History of Alexander, Union and Pulaski Counties, Illinois, Part V - Biographical Sketches, pages 331-332.