AS early as 1857, a number of Catholic families lived in Mound City, but had
no organization. Father Walsh, from St. Patrick's Church at Cairo, came to
Mound City every third or fourth Sunday and said mass in the school house,
located on Walnut street. Occasionally, an effort was made to build a
church. Bishop Younker, of the Alton Diocese, which embraced this locality',
refusing to send a Priest until a church was built. The effort to build was
continued — Jerry Dunleary, P. M. Kelly, C. Buckheart, Mrs. N. R. Casey,
James Browner, and indeed all the Catholics living in the place were not
only anxious, but zealous, in their efforts to accomplish their object, and
in 1863 they had the satisfaction of worshiping in their own church. The
Emporium Company gave the lot the}' built upon. It was located on High
street, and runs back to Pearl street, between Railroad avenue and Walnut
street. The organization, and the christening of the Church St. Mary's
followed its completion. The building was 25x56 feet, and finished and
furnished in good style. The organization, at that time, was a strong one. A
large number of Catholic families were here, man}' of them connected with
the naval station, the United States Government Hospital, and the Government
works of various kinds. Father Moor was the first priest, followed by Father
Elthrop. They were here only a short time, when Father Kuckenbach came, and
while he remained the first house was built, a two-story frame, with one
story ell. Father Kuckenbach was relieved by Father Walsh, who took charge
of the congregation. He remained six or seven years, and was a very popular
priest, with more than ordinary ability. Father O'Conner followed Father
Walsh; he was a young man of ability, but was suffering from the incipient
stages of consumption. He remained at his post of labor until unable to do
so longer, went to the Sister's hospital at Cairo, and from there to
Jacksonville, Ill., where he died. Father Denneher was the next priest.
During his administration, the ground upon which is located St. Mary's
Catholic Cemetery, near Mound City Junction, was bought. The members of the
church had long felt the expense and inconvenience of burying their dead in
the Catholic cemetery at Villa Ridge, eight miles from Mound City. To avoid
this, Mrs. N. R. Casey inaugurated the plan to buy of the Bichtill heirs
twenty acres of land embracing the first high ground, north of the Mound
City Junction, opposite the Beach Grove Cemetery, and along the line of the
Illinois Central Railroad. To do so would cost $200. Mrs. Casey succeeded in
raising the amount by subscription. Her Protestant friends of Mound City and
Cairo were as liberal as her Catholic friends. She received 820 from
Archbishop Spalding, of Baltimore, who was her god father, and had married
her and her husband. When the twenty acres were surveyed, it showed a strip
of land containing three or four acres, lying between the land bought and
the Illinois Central Railroad, completely cutting off the view of the
cemetery from the junction and railroad. This strip had also belonged to the
Bichtill heirs, but Dr. Grain had a tax deed for it. The agent of the heirs
agreed to deed Mrs. Casey this strip of land, provided she secured the deed
from Dr. Grain, which she did by paying him $50 and it was added to St.
Mary's Catholic Cemetery, and upon that high, beautiful elevation, a part of
the strip alluded to, Mrs. Casey selected in her life-time, for her last
resting place, where she now lies buried.
After Father Denneher, Father Grant came, who did not remain long; he was followed by Father Masterson, a young priest when he came. He became a favorite with his congregation and with the community. He remained five or six years, when he was relieved from his charge at Mound City and ordered by the Bishop to Cairo; an effort was made to have the Bishop retain him longer in Mound City, but without success. Father Becker came in his place, who remained one year, when the present priest. Father Eckert came. The church has maintained a Catholic school the greater part of the time since its organization. They have also maintained a Sunday school. The church built some years ago a one-story schoolhouse, on Fourth street, between Walnut and Poplar. N. R. Casey gave them the lot, while the building was paid for, largely, by private subscriptions and money raised by festivals, etc. The church is out of debt; while the majority of its members are poor, they are always willing to contribute their mite for the advancement of the church.
In the year 1857, the Methodist Episcopal Church was organized, Rev. R. H. Manier of this Conference, and now of Effingham charge, was the first Pastor in charge. For some time, it was connected with Cairo charge. In 1858, Revs. J. A. Scarrett and Lingenfelter were sent as pastors in charge of the work. Inasmuch as no record during the years of its connection with Cairo has been kept in the possession of the Mound City Church, the names of certain pastors who officiated from the time of organization to the year 1865 will not appear here. In the year 1865, the church was organized as a station, under the pastorate of Rev. J. P. Dew, with forty-nine members in full connection. The charge was then in Equality District, Southern Illinois Conference. The pastors who have been associated with the charge from 1865 up to September, 1880, when it ceased to be a station, are Revs. J. Hill, one year; F. L. Thompson, one year; A. P. Morrison, one 3'ear; D. W. Phillips, two years; F. M. Vantreese, two years; C. H. Farr, one year; J. H. Garret, one year; R. Z. Fahs, one year; Revs. Fredgold and G. W. Willson, two years; Ephraim Joy, three years. In 1880, the charge was organized into a circuit, and Rev. E. M. Glasgow was sent and had the pastoral care for one year. In September, 1881, at the Conference held in Greenville, Bishop Hurst sent to the charge Rev. H. A. Doty, who is now the present pastor.
In the year 1865, under the labors of Rev. J. P. Dew, a brick church, 36x60 feet, was built. Its cost was $5,000. Its seating capacity will accommodate 300 persons. On the 1st day of July, 1866, it was solemnly set apart and dedicated to the worship of Almighty God, by Dr. G. W. Hughey, now of St. Louis, Mo. Since its origin, up to the present time, the records designate its prosperity and its decline. During the palmier days of the city, it flourished accordingly. During the last pastoral year, twenty-six have been added to the church at Mound City, so that at present there is a membership of sixty, and in the entire charge a membership of 140. The charge is now, as Mound City and Ville Ridge charge, in the Mt. Vernon District, Southern Illinois Conference, with Rev. C. Nash, Presiding Elder. For the above history of the Methodist Church, we are indebted to the very kind and' reverend Mr. Doty.
In 1861, Dr. Stephen J. McMaster resigned the Presidency of a college in Missouri, and became Chaplain of Col. Buford's Illinois regiment. In 1862, by special request, he became Chaplain of the United States Government Hospital at Mound City, where he administered to the sick and dying. Finally, a chapel for regular service was fitted up in the hospital. The service in the chapel was attended by citizens as well as soldiers. Dr. McMaster was a gentleman of education and culture. In 18G3, Dr. Isaac P. Labough became rector of the church in Cairo. Desiring to hold church in Mound City, the Methodist Church was kindly tendered him, where he held service for a while and afterward at the schoolhouse. In 1865, the Rev. John Foster held service in the schoolhouse. During the year 1866, the Rev. William Britton officiated, and during this year the church was built and dedicated St. Peter's. Dr. X. R. Casey gave the lot; it was 26x60 feet, upon which it was built; and at a festival, held in the brick storehouse on the corner of Poplar and First streets (afterward occupied by W. J. Price) the members realized $2,200. Rev. M. Lyle held the first service in the church, followed by Rev. Mr. Roften in 1868. Rev. William Mitchell had charge during the year. Bishop Whitehouse confirmed a class of thirteen in 1869-70. The Rev. James Coe and Rev. Edwin Conn held service in the church Sunday afternoons. In 1871, Rev. A. E. Wells had come to Mound City as Chaplain of the Navy Station, but soon took charge of St. Peters Church, and remained its minister for six years; he was a social, pleasant gentleman, and was favorably known by the community. Rev. Dean Ervine held service in 1881, and in 1882-83 Rev. William Steel and Rev. F. P. Davenport occasionally held service in the church. Bishop Whitehouse, McClaren and Seymour were present at different confirmations. To the Rev. Dr. McMaster, in his capacity as Chaplain at the hospital at Mound City, should be given the credit of inaugurating the first move toward the establishment of the church. While the church is at present without a minister, its members keep up their Sunday school organization, and it is understood they are soon to be supplied with a pastor.
The colored people of Mound City are supporting four churches. The First Free-Will Baptist Church is located in the northwest part of the city. It is a frame building, 26x50, has been built for several years, and has one hundred and eleven members, while the average attendance at the church is about one hundred and fifty. Rev. Nelson Ricks is the pastor. They have forty-five children that attend the Sunday school. The Second Free-Will Baptist Church is near Main street, in the upper portion of the city. It is not so fine a church as the First. It is a box house, 18x30 feet. They have twenty-five members; the average attendance is about fifty. Rev. George W. Young is the minister in charge. The}' have twenty-five children at their Sunday school. The Methodist Church is a frame building, 25x-l:0 feet, has a membership of forty, fifty or more generally attending the meetings on Sunday. Rev. Joseph White is in charge. Thirty-five children attend their Sunday school. The Missionary organization has no building of its own to worship in. They rent the Second Free-Will Baptist Church to hold their meetings. They have twenty members. Rev. Charles Moore is the minister. Have no Sunday school.
On Sunday, November 2, 1879, about 2 o'clock in the afternoon, tire was discovered issuing from the top of John Zanone's two-story building, on Main street, used for a saloon, billiard hall and residence, and almost immediately thereafter it was evident the building could not be saved. The wind was blowing rapidly from the northwest, and the entire roof was soon in flames. Mrs. Vogel's two-story house, north of Zanone's, was soon on fire, while Kriss Keller's, south, had caught and was burning. Then on the north followed the burning of a one story house, belonging to Mr. Blum. Here an effort was made to stay its progress north by pulling down the Blum house, but it was not accomplished, and soon Mr. F. T. Fricke's drug store and his residence, in the rear, were on fire, that soon extended to the large double two-story house belonging to G. W. Carter. Then came Peter Coldwater's two-story building, saloon and residence, together with Unsol's building, residence and barber-shop. This included all the buildings from where the fire started, going north on Main street, to William Stern's two-story brick house. Here the fire was stopped going north; by great exertion Stern's house was saved. All this time the fire was being driven on rapidly by the wind southwest. After Keller's house came Alexander Wilson's furniture store. When once on fire, it was but a moment when G. F. Meyer's large two-story grocery store was on fire. From Meyer's, on the corner of Main and Walnut streets, ^the fire was driven across Walnut street, and caught the old brewer^' building, on the corner of Walnut and First streets. The large two-story brick residence of Mrs. Ninnengers, alongside of the brewery building, was next to take fire and burn; then Mrs. Moll's residence and store building west of the brewery; then the old public schoolhouse across, the alley on Walnut street. By pulling down the schoolhouse saved the buildings south, to the river, from the brewery. The fire burned all the buildings on First street to Poplar, then it crossed Poplar street and burned W. J. Price's brick storehouse; from there it went west on Poplar street to where Mr. Nordman now lives, and south on First to the reservation. From Meyers store and the old brewery, the fire crossed Walnut and First streets, to G. G. & J. W. I Morris's tin shop, then Tom Dun's house, then I Mrs. M. E. Rawlings' large two-story brick ; house, then William Dougherty's two-story frame residence. All the houses in the block east, the fire had burned; B. L. Ulen's residence, Ferd Wehrfritz on Commercial street, and all the buildings (skipping colored church) and depot on that block. From there it caught the cooper shop, Rawlings' reservation, then the court house building, then Meyer & Nordman's stave factory, and then all the buildings on the bank of the river, that was built by the Government, except the one now used by Mr. Reel for a flouring mill. Fifty-five houses, including business houses and residences, in three short hours, had been reduced to ashes.
The city was without a fire engine. They had hooks and ladders, and worked manfully, but it was soon evident, nothing could stay its march to the river. The wind seemed to increase with the fire until it blew a gale, bearing boards and shingles, which blew across the river, setting the woods on fire in Kentucky. When the fire was discovered, the people were helpless. No power they had at command could stay its progress. The 31ayor telegraphed to the Cairo fire companies, and they responded cheerfully. The Cairo & Vincennes Railroad furnished an engine and flat cars, upon which two hand-engines were brought to the city with the companies, while the fire had about exhausted itself when they came, for the want of material to burn. The engines did good service in throwing water on the still burning houses. It was not believed any number of engines, after the fire got well started, could have stayed its progress. Many lo.st not only their homes, but all their homes contained. Household goods removed from the house and left on some street far away from the fire, where it was supposed they would be safe, were soon overtaken by the fire and burned up in the street. Even the locust trees upon the Mound on the river bank, that had so long been cherished by the people, were all burned down. No lives were lost, but distress and excitement were seen ever3'where; women and little children huddled together in the middle of the street, wondering where they would lay their heads that night, or when their hunger would be relieved; and to add to the calamity, thieves were busily engaged in carrying off any and everything they could get hold of that was left exposed. Special policemen had to be appointed before the stealing could be stopped. Those whose houses had not burned provided for as many of the destitute as they could, and in this way all had found a place to sleep, and were provided with something to eat by 10 o'clock that night. An appeal the next day was made to the public, and some 81,500 or $1,600 was given by various towns and cities for the destitute. This was greatly appreciated. The estimated loss by the fire was over $200,000. The citizens that had escaped the fire continued to render aid and comfort to the afflicted. Compared with the size of the city and the number of inhabitants, the fire in 1879 was as disastrous to Mound City as the great Chicago fire was to that city. While the fire was discouraging, the owners of the property burned set about at once rebuilding, and while all the lots made vacant by the fire have not been rebuilt upon, still a majority of them have, and instead of frame houses, the larger number are elegant brick dwellings and business houses.
In 1857, Conner & Fubager built and operated a stave factory in the upper part of the city. They worked about fifty men. At that time they procured the timber for their staves, immediately around the factory, as a heavy forest of fine timber lay all around them. In 1858, the factory burned. In 1857, H. C. Howard & Co., near Connor's stave factory, built and operated a furniture factory. The close proximity to desirable timber, the cheapness of labor, and the cheapness of freight upon the river, made it a desirable location. Their trade was principally from the South. The civil war coming upon the country, the factor}in 1861 was closed. Mr. Howard, the active partner, some years later, died, and it was never revived. In the same year, a planing mill and a sash and door factory was built in the same neighborhood of the furniture factory. For ' want of capital, the parties that built it suspended before the}had run it long. The same year, and near the furniture factory, Johnson I & Carpenter built a flouring mill. This mill I was run for a number of years, when the building was purchased by Yocum, and in 1864 started an ax handle factory; later it was Yocum & Harris, and in 1869 the Walworth Handle Works were established, where McDowel's saw mill now stands, and Yocum & Harris and the Walworth factories were consolidated. They did an extensive and profitable business until 1876. They moved the factory to St. Louis, where it is still operated by Chester & Harris. In 1858, a man by the name of Skeen built a saw mill near the mouth of Cache River. In about a year, it passed to a man by the name of Brown, and from Brown to a man by the name of Dudley. In 1861, Capt. W. L. Hambleton became owner, and William Dougherty operated it a year or two, when George E. Lounsberry had charge of it until 1868, when William Dougherty became owner. He moved it near the bank of the Ohio River, rebuilding the greater part of it. He operated it until 1872, then Craig & Crandell for a year followed; by Crandell, Morris & Dougherty for a year, when the machinery was sold and removed, which ended the existence of rather an eventful saw mill. In 1869, Jones & Harlin established a shingle factory at the mouth of Cache River. Soon after, in 1870, A. J. Dougherty bought it, and run it for a year. In 1871 he added machinery for manufacturing staves, but it was burnt down soon afterward. In July, 1871, A. J. Dougherty bought the building in which Yocum first started his ax handle factory, and started a stave factory, first making salt barrel staves for the Ohio Salt Company. In the course of the year, he enlarged the business by manufacturing flour barrel staves. The demand for the goods increased, and instead of eight or ten men employed, as was all required at the start, the trade now requires 100 men to operate it. In 1877, a stock company was organized, and is now carried on as the Mound City Stave Company. The first stockholders were: W. L. Halliday, Jake Martin and A. J. Dougherty. The stock is now owned by A. J. Dougherty and Orlando Wilson; capital stock, $5,000. In 1881, the factory burned down, involving a loss of $15,000; insured for $7,000. After the fire, the company purchased the lots on the corner of East First street, and levee, upon which they built the present factory at a cost of $20,000, and are now operating it with success.
In 1865, the hub and spoke factory was established in the Union Block building by the Keer Bros., with W. H. Stokes, of Louisville, Ky., furnishing the capital. It was continued for a number of years, realizing ready sales for their work, but by a combination of circumstances, principally bad management, it went into bankruptcy.
In 1867, Edward Shippen commenced to manufacture wheel-barrows in the Union Block, which he carried on extensively for about four years. He was a son-in-law of the late W. H. Stokes, of Louisville, Ky. Becoming interested in the provisions of his father-in-law's will, he moved to Louisville to look after it.
In 1857, William Ninnenger rented a two-story house, between Poplar and Main streets, in which he commenced the manufacture of beer, where he continued until 1860, when he built the brewery on the corner of Walnut and First streets. Here he made considerable money. In 1866, his health became bad, and he went to Havana, hoping to find relief, but early in 1867 he died in New Orleans on his way home. His brother Charles continued the brewery until 1870, when he closed it and died in 1871. The Walworth Handle Company left their building standing when they moved to St. Louis, and in 1878 John McDowell, from Brazil, Ind., purchased it and established an extensive saw mill. The mill has great capacity, and is considered the most extensive of the kind in Southern Illinois, if not in the State. The active and congenial Quinn McCracken, also from Brazil, Ind., is the Superintendent. J. R. Reel, another gentleman from Brazil, in 1879 established in one of the original Government buildings, upon the levee, a flouring mill, but it became a victim to the great fire of the same year. He is now occupying and operating a flouring mill in the only building the ravages of the fire spared upon the river bank. In 1858, G. F. Meyer came direct from Germany to Mound City, and at once went into partnership with A. C Hallenberry in a small grocery store on Main street, opposite where the post office is now kept. They soon moved their business down to the brewery building, and then to the lot he now occupies, on the corner of Main and Walnut streets. Meyer & Hallenberry dissolved partnership in 1867, Meyer continuing at the same location, Hallenberry establishing himself on the opposite side of the street, with a grocery store. Mr. Meyer at an early day connected the business of buying and shipping staves in the rough. At one time for a number of years he controlled and operated the saw mill known as Webster & Carroll's, located three miles north of Mound City; had a wooden railroad built from the mill to the Ohio River, upon which the lumber was brought and shipped.
In May, 1879, Meyer & Nordman established their extensive and complete stave factory, in all its departments, upon the river bank just north of the Mound, and on Rawlings' reservation, when, the same year, November 2, 1879, the factory, staves and all apartments thereunto belonging succumbed to the fire that was so disastrous to so much of Mound City. The ashes were hardly cold, however, when they began to rebuild, and on the 18th day of December the same year, they were running. They manufactured, bricked and jointed seasoned white oak staves and headings for ale hogsheads and barrels, beer half-barrels, and kegs for whisky, and sirup barrels; in connection with the factory they worked fifty men. They shipped their staves as far East as Boston, and west to San Francisco, and have quite a trade to Canada. Mr. Nordman came from Indianapolis; like Mr. Me3'er, he had much experience in the stave business; both seeing and appreciating the advantages of the place for such an enterprise, availed themselves of it. The Wabash Railroad runs a switch upon their ground. The Mound City Railroad nearby, and the Ohio River washing the shores just in front of them, tells them to choose the route to send their goods. The da}" the fire consumed the stave factory of Meyer & Nordman, it also burned the large grocery store of Mr. Meyer His loss was great, but he carried an insurance that relieved him to a considerable extent, and the next day after the fire, Meyer was found selling groceries on the opposite corner, in a building which he owned. In 1882, he completed and moved into his elegant store building upon the ground he had done business so long before the fire. His store building is complete in all its departments. It is built of the best of brick, foundation of stone. The structure is 180x80 feet, and consists of four separate and distinct double stores having seven departments, all admirably managed and all connected by broad archways, with ample light, and two elevators. In one department groceries, in another hardware and stoves, then boots, shoes, hats and caps, then saddlery, then furniture, and separate departments for liquors and groceries in wholesale, each line being full. The building is connected with Cairo by telephone. The entire second floor is devoted to wholesale or duplicated stock, as is also the basement, which latter, together with the entire sidewalk extending around three sides of the building, is made of English Portland cement, making them impervious to water and vermin. The building has three fire and burglar-proof vaults, one in each double store; on the second floor an elegant private and a book-keeper's office. Mr. Meyer buys for cash direct from importers and first hands, In a warehouse, 37x130 feet, he keeps wagons, buggies and carriages of all descriptions and styles. He keeps in a building 45x50, a full stock of sash, doors and blinds. He is interested in nearly every industrial enterprise that contributes to the growth, and prosperity of the city. His chief of staff, the gentlemanly Ferdinand Wehrfritz, has full charge of the business in Mr. Mever's absence. While other business men have made money in Mound City and gone elsewhere to spend it, G. F. Meyer spends it where lie made it.
Mound City Lodge, Xo. 250, I. O. O. F., was instituted March 11, 1858. The M. W. G. Master, W. Duff Green, of the I. O. O. F. of the jurisdiction of Illinois, accompanied by Grand officers, P. G. D. Hannon, R. W. D. (}. M. protem Brother Greenwood, R. W. Gr. M. P. G., George McKensie, R. W. G. T. and Brother Owen, R. W. G. G., instituted the lodge with the following charter members: P. G. J. Griswold, P. Gr. H. Hiner, Bros. C Kirkpatrick, W. McNight and J. S. Hawkins. On the same evening, the following persons were proposed and admitted, to wit: P. G. C. M. Ferrill, P. G. N. R. Casey. M. B. Riggs, A. Patrick, R. Adams and sixteen others. On the 12th of March, 1858. the hall was dedicated. On the 15th of October, 1858. a charter was granted to the lodge, W. Duff Green being Grand Master. The first officers elected were J. Griswold, N. G.; C. Kirkpatrick, V. G.; William McNight, Sec; and N. R. Casey. Treas. Since the institution of this lodge, a quarter of a century has elapsed. It has undergone many vicissitudes; burning of its hall in the fire of 1879, it survives the struggle of other years with a brighter outlook before it. It now numbers twenty members. Its present officers are W. T. Freeze, N. G.; H. A. Doty, V. G.; L. D. Reel, Sec; T. W. Reed. Treas. Since the burning of the hall in 1879, they fitted up a hall over Price's store, on Main street, and went there every Friday evening.
The Knights of Honor were organized in October, 1879, with twenty-four charter members. Since then the order has increased to fifty-four members. But one death has occurred since the organization of the lodge, that of A. Schnider. The lodge meets in the Odd Fellows Hall. Its present officers are George Bosum, Dictator; Joseph Cale, Vice Dictator; H. G. Carter, Reporter, and Edward A. Hays, Financial Reporter.
The Ladies and Knights of Honor, No. 587, were organized November 4. 1882, with twenty-four charter members. They have increased since then to twenty-eight members. No death has occurred since the order was established. The present officers: Mrs. Joseph Goodloe, Protector; Mrs. Ninnenger, Vice Protector; Mrs. Hattie M. Smith, Deputy Protector; Mrs. E. B. Watkins, Sec, and William Painter, Treas.
In 1857, there lived in Mound City a number of Masons, belonging to lodges in different parts of the country, and that the}' might enjoy directly the advantages from the order, Cache Lodge was instituted in 1858. The following were the charter members: James Goodloe, H. R. Howard, J. Y. Clemson, R. H. Warner, I. E. Anderson, J. R. Emerie and C. Jennings. James Goodloe was its first Master. Of the charter members none are now living in Mound City, and the majority have long since been admitted or rejected in the lodge above. Many of them and of those that became members of the order were faithful and zealous in the cause, probably none so much as J. W. Morris, now of Cairo. He was frequently chosen to represent Cache Lodge in the Grand Lodge of the State, which duty he performed with great satisfaction. But circumstances over which they had no control induced them to consolidate with the Cairo Lodge, which they did in 187-1.
In 1866, the first Good Templars society was organized by old Father Bingham, the great temperance worker. The lodge was carried on successively, and did much good until 1876. The meetings were discontinued, but more or less temperance work was done until 1878, when the Red Ribbon movement was inaugurated by Dr. Reynolds, which resulted in much good. In 1882, another Good Templars Lodge was established, and is now in successful operation.
The first store opened in Mound City was by Gen. M. M. Rawlings in 1855, and contained a large stock of assorted merchandise. It was continued until early in 1863. The store room was 25x100 feet. The building fronted Rawlings' reservation; after 1863, it was known as the Marine Barracks, the marines occupying it for several years, or while they were stationed at 3Iound City. The second business house was kept by R. H. Warner, 1856. It consisted of groceries only. He built the house, and it also fronted the reservation. The lot and buildings were afterward sold to Capt. Kelsey for $10,000. In 1857, Warner & Donagon kept a grocery store on Poplar street, between Front street and the reservation. John Donagon is still in Mound City. Then Harrell & Dougherty in 1856 kept a store consisting of general merchandise, wholesale and retail. John withdrew; had a grocery and provision store. Coyle & Harris were the first carpenters and builders to ask patronage in their business in Mound City. At the same time, Joe Worthington offered to do house and ornamental painting. The firm of Coyle & Harris was soon changed to Holmes & Wickwire. John Given, J. B. Morrison, carpenters and contractors, found plenty to do in Mound City. Charles Ninnenger was the first barber, in 1856, Room 34 Shelton House. Soon afterward came Ben Savage, and opened barbershop on Front street. He was a colored man, pretty well advanced in years; for several years, besides practicing his art, played the fiddle for all the children's parties in the city. He was not an Ole Bull in that line; he very rarely had more than three strings to his fiddle, yet the music and the dance went on, and old Ben, as the night advanced, while the noise of the fiddle continued, seemed to charm himself into sweet repose, and some of Peck's bad boys would stick pins in him to keep him going. He, like all the men, had a history, and was always anxious to tell it. He had one story that was his favorite. It was connected with his life, away back "where he came from." All who sat under his razor had to listen to it every time they occupied his chair. It referred to his youthful days and his youthful sports. It was always enjoyable, especially so when you were in a hurry, for the recitation seriously delayed the business in hand. But in a few years he passed from these shores, and old Ben and his fiddle were heard no more. Jonathan Tucker kept the first butcher shop. The first matrimonial alliance in Mound City was consummated by Jackson Stanly, groom, and Miss Mary Venoy the bride. Rev. I. C. Anderson pronounced the words that made them inseparable.
Capt. C. M. Ferrill and Nelson kept a wharf boat in 1857. Ferrill was elected the first Police' Magistrate in Mound City, resigning soon after. He was elected City Marshal, and was a terror to evil doers. He built two cottages in Mound City, and lived in one of them a number of years, when he moved to Elizabethtown. Went into the army, came back a Colonel of a regiment, and in 1873 was elected to the State Senate from the Fifty-first District. In 1857, Bennett & Eddy were house and ornamental painters; acquired a good business in their lines. Mayfield and Cresp, surgeon and dentist, could be found if you had the toothache, on Main street, in 1857. J. S. Hawkins, plasterer. He was a small man, walked unusually rapid, but understood his business. King & Rice were brickmakers in 1856, and Capt. F. A. Fair was the bricklayer. The Shelton House was supplying the wants of the inner man. It was first-class and had some style about it. The proprietor, R. B. Shelton, furnished his guests with a bill of fare at all meals. The writer of this has one dated June 3, 1857. It starts out with three kinds of soup, then fish, then comes corn beef and cold dishes, entrees; but listen to what follows under the head of roast — chicken, beef, veal, mutton, ham, pork, pig and duck — which or how many kinds will 3'ou have ? was the question. Then comes game, then follows vegetables, eleven different kinds. Then relishes, puddings and pastries, consisting of fifteen varieties, then desserts. The list of wines, with meal hours, including when children and servants shall be waked, and when they may eat, covers one entire side of the bill. Here at the elegant dinners at the Shelton House, sat the President, Directors and stockholders of the Emporium Company in 1857, sipping their champagne, and talking of oriental palaces and marble halls. Detwiler & Yonker, were the first fashionable boot and shoe makers. Their sign hung from the railroad building in 1856. In April, 1856, Younking & Mayfield opened the first drug store in the building where George Mertz & Son now keep grocery store. It had many owners. In 1876, Dr. Amonett was the owner, but before his death he disposed of it, and it was removed from Mound City. In 1857, Tourill & Faelix established a drug store where Mrs. Moll now carries on business. In connection with drugs, they kept books and periodicals. Faelix sold his interest to Tourill, and returned to Germany. Tourill built a house on Main street, south of Railroad avenue, and in it continued the drug business until 1870, when he sold to F. G. Fricke, and moved to New York City, where he died some years ago. Mr. Fricke bought property on the east side of Main street, to which he moved the drug store. He was burnt out in 1879, after which he built a brick house, and still carries on the drug business. A. Fraser advertises, in June. 1857, tin, sheet-iron and copper-ware for sale, wholesale and retail. He was then on a flat-boat, but built a house on Main street, and moved into it soon after. With him came G. G. and J. W. Morris, who for many years afterward lived in Mound City, and as G. G. & J. W. Morris, did business. G. G. Morris is now superintending a stave factory at Stone Fort, in this State, while J. W. Morris lives in Cairo, and carries on a tin, sheet-iron and copper shop. In 1857, Orsbern & Kornlo, opened on First street, an ice cream saloon, and to increase the luxuries in the business, they added cigars and tobacco.
John F. Morgan, in 1857, kept a grocery and feed store. The same year T. Hilderbrand opened a saddle and harness shop, and about the same time John D. James & Co. opened on Front street, between Poplar and Walnut, an exchange and banking office, but did not survive a great while. In 1857 Clemson & Barney opened an extensive dry goods house on First street, south of Poplar. Before and during the war, a number of gentlemen made fortunes selling goods in Mound City, but moved away to enjoy them and at the same time to add to them. But they have found fortune to be fickle, and their thousands have departed. The moral would indicate, you had better continue to live where you do well.
Mound City has a population of 2,500. Her location, contrary to the judgment of a stranger, is exceedingly healthy. Visit her public schools and see her bright, healthy -looking children; visit the public demonstrations that call out the population, and for healthful appearance they will compare with any people in any part of the country. The breeze from the Mississippi and Ohio Rivers absorbs or drives over and above Mound City the malaria, where it exists in the country while Mound City is comparatively exempt from many diseases that carry off people further north, and who are living upon higher ground. No question can exist but that the health, according to actual statistics of Mound City, would compare favorably with any town in Illinois. In other words, you can live as long in Mound City as you would anywhere, and, as to your happiness afterward. Mound City should not be responsible. Mound City presents no idlers or loafers. Her manufactures and her enterprises keep everybody employed, consequently 3Iound City has no paupers or people suffering for bread.
The present businesses of the city are represented by Mrs. Moll's dry goods store, on Walnut street, at the foot of Main street; A. Lutz, butcher shop, on west side of Main; John Yogel, baker and confectioner; John Ballany , silver smith; John Trampert, boot and shoe maker, with large stock ready-made; George Stoltz, Stoltz House, of which he is proprietor; S. Back, dry goods store, boots and shoes and ready-made clothing; L. Blum, dry goods, boots and shoes and ready-made clothing; C. Boekenkamp & Co., groceries; P. Ward, ice cream saloon and confectionery; Caesar Sheller, butcher; George Bosum, boots and shoes; all west side of Main street and south of Railroad avenue — James Mulrony, saloon, livery and feed stable; Thomas Browner, groceries; A. Weason, undertaker; west side of Main street and north of Railroad avenue— Bell & McCoy, groceries and provisions; A. Montgomery, undertaker; Loren Stophlet, groceries and feed store; N. Newnogle, bakery, confectionery and toys; George Mertz & Son, grocery and feed store; Mike Pracht. tobacconist; William Hough, tinner; W. J. Price, dry goods, groceries and ready-made clothing; Dr. C. B. Toher; William Neidstein, saloon and billiard rooms; Romeo Friganza, books, stationery, fancy articles, periodicals and newspapers; William Stern, saloon; Jake Unroe, barber, ice cream and confectionery saloon; Peter Coldwater, saloon; F. G. Fricke, druggist; Mrs. Vogel, washing house; John Zanone, variety store; Kris Keller, barber; G-. F. Meyer, groceries, boots and shoes, hardware, hats, caps, furniture, saddlery, wagons, plows, reapers and mowers, buggies and carriages, and many other things, all on the west side of Main street; Mrs. Blake, milliner, on Commercial street; Mrs. Fray, dre.is-maker; Mrs. Nick Smith's Planter's House; Mound City Hotel, McClenen, proprietor, on Railroad avenue and river front; P. M. Kelly, Eagle Hotel; John Dishinger, blacksmith shop; Pat Scott, blacksmith and wagon shop, on Main street; C. A. Dowd, blacksmith; B. R. Barry, blacksmith shop, on Third street, between Walnut and Poplar.
The present officials of the city are I. W. Reed, Justice of the Peace and acting Police Magistrate; George Mertz, Mayor; G. F. Meyer, A. J. Dougherty, Quinn McCracken, C. N. Bell, J. H. Reel, Daniel Hogan, Councilmen; Frank R. Casey, Clerk.